Community Support

Use weather data for "stale" triggering  

RSS
Chris
(@zerog981)
Estimable Member 🇩🇪🇨🇭Editor

Hi Pierre!

Today, due to maintainance of one station I had the opportunity to see how Weather Station treats stale data. I'm using only realtime stations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that data is only treated as stale (and thus not added to diagrams etc. anymore) if the timestamp of the file does not change. This makes sence actually, but the software I'm using is not intelligent enough to stop updating the realtime file once a station stops sending data. Instead the software is only refreshing the timestamp using always the same weather data and therefore Weather Station thinks it's always new data and for instance produces constant lines in diagrams.

Maybe (at least as an option) the following is better: Instead of using the timestamp as critical parameter for stale data, use the data itself. It's highly unlikely that all weather parameters remain constant for more than a few minutes.

Please, do not spend too much time on this issue, it's not that important after all. But maybe this is a "problem" that happens more often and with other types of stations as well. Just tell me, what you think about it? 😉 

Chris

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Chris

I like the cold weather. It means you get work done.

Posted : 19/02/2019 8:19 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin
Posted by: Chris

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that data is only treated as stale (and thus not added to diagrams etc. anymore) if the timestamp of the file does not change. This makes sence actually, but the software I'm using is not intelligent enough to stop updating the realtime file once a station stops sending data.

Hi Chris. You're definitely right. The timestamp in the file is the Graal. All is driven by this value.

One solution to this "problem" is, and you're right once again, to apply some Quality Checking on collected data. Unfortunately, QC is not in my backlog for 3.x version. It is a thing I've planned to implement in 4.x series (because, as a design principle, I've linked it to APIs). So yes, you're right, it would be possible to do something on the subject, but for now (and for some other futur versions) it will rely on the good old-fashioned method: the timestamp  🙄 

Sorry for that. 😥 

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2019 11:11 pm
Chris
(@zerog981)
Estimable Member 🇩🇪🇨🇭Editor

Oh, for now it's not that great an issue because after some connection problems at the beginning our stations are quite stable now, so don't worry 😉 I just wanted to mention it and it's great you already thought about this!

I like the cold weather. It means you get work done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2019 11:22 pm

Working

To participate, please connect first!