Community Support

[This post is marked as unsolved] Some improvements to use into a weather network  

RSS
daguilera
(@daguilera)
Eminent Member

Hi Pierre, how's you going?

Running about 3 months your plugin on our weather network website (redmeteo.cl) and now with 13 stations added, I noticed a slow-down performance. I used a crontab to update telemetry system and our stations (can I change the crontab scheduled timing). But in fact it's OK for us.

The subject of this message is a lack of this functions that I'd certainly like into our weather station network. Don't worry, it's only suggestions and if you only have time, of course:

1. In our maps of homepage, we'd like to see an "updated" field in the tool-tip that appears when you click any station. With this, we'd like to check when the station was refreshed into system, for our visitors (I know that into "Stations" page into admin page, we see that information).
  2. Our network is on active development, and telemetry system is a critical issue for us. We adapted the stickertag format specification to operate Davis Instruments and Ambient Weather stations. Even we built an Excel spreadsheet to report manual observations performed by weather enthusiasts that have weather sensors in their backyards (barometer, thermometer, etc) and roughly complies the recommendations from WMO, to act as Weather Watcher (Vigía del Tiempo, in spanish). But I noticed a limited support of Stickertag format, because that format lacks of some variables (for instance, solar irradiance, UV index, etc). For Weather Watchers it's no a problem at all, but into our telemetry code to get data from weather stations, this makes a continuous loss of data. I'd like to build a new data input format to send data to redmeteo.cl servers and decode data, that have documentation in this website. I don't know if is possible to make a custom data format system for Weather Station Software.  I gave up rebuilding Cumulus realtime.txt format using Python and Bash scripts.
  3. I'd like to use some templates for build tables with data. I actually use shortcodes to make our tables for each station in the network, but it's always the same thing: I have to copy all the unprocessed HTML code into a text editor, and search and replace all the station ID and map ID. But if the station uses another data format, I have to rewrite all the page from zero, and copy and paste all the shortcodes. This is a cumberscome situation. I'd be very happy if WSS could have a template system.

I'm looking forward into Climatological Features and Weather Forecast forum threads. Obviously, this hints don't stop us anyway. (Don't be feel pressed to make this things soon). We can wait to 3.9 or 3.10 (or 4.0?) version.
Best regards.

David

David Aguilera-Riquelme (@davidagriq).
https://redmeteo.cl - an Open Chilean hobbyist weather network

Posted : 22/03/2019 5:05 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hey David, I'm going well. Thanks 😀 

I'm on fire with the development of 3.8. It will be a huge new version (the most gigantic since the 3.0).  🤯 

Regarding you "slow-down" that's very strange. I've made tests (on a 2 month period with 25, 50 and 100 stations); for 25 and 50 my benchmarks says nothing about performance degradation. Absolutely no impact. For 100 stations, I had to increase the size of the server to have no impact. And cron frequency has no impact at all... Could you open a new thread and tell me what's your server size, OS and PHP version?

Regarding your suggestions:

1 - argh, I'm unmasked  😳 ! As a matter of fact it is already present in my development version to be released in 3.8... My surprise is stale  😬 

3 - templates will come with 4.0, not before I'm sorry...  😞 

2 - it's a very interesting question. I'm currently building a format for weather protocol + data exchange. It's originally based on the dead OpenWeather format for the protocol side and data exchange will be naturally JSON on HTTP/S. So not based on file... If you have nothing between stations (or manual observation) and Weather Station it will be useless for your case. But if you can implement this future-format-with-no-name-for-now on a device between your stations and Weather Station you will be able to send to Weather Station every type of measurement you can have in mind (if Weather Station supports this type of measurement). In any case, the most simple to wait is to go with "intermediary" formats like clientraw. What was the problem you encounter?

PS: if you have other suggestions - which I do not doubt for a second 😛 - could you please open a thread per subject?

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2019 7:11 pm
daguilera
(@daguilera)
Eminent Member

Hi Pierre,

I could test slowing the cron timing, to 2 minutes interval.

1. Sorry for the spoiler 😶 
  2. Eventually, I could program something to act as intermediary interface between stations / manual observations to the new protocol. I'm looking forward.
  3. No problem

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2019 7:47 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Slowing down the cron from 1 to 2 minutes will do nothing (from my experience) but you can try. If you have such a symptom, it's mainly due to other parameters (server size, OS, PHP, Weather Station cache, etc....)

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2019 7:50 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello David.

Do you have solved your performance issue?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2019 2:36 am
daguilera
(@daguilera)
Eminent Member

Oh yeah. Slowing the crontab interval solved the issues. I think that our server had troubles dealing with the telemetry retrieval from our automatic weather station network and to run the processing tasks on Weather Station plugin at the same time.

By the way, the new update is awesome! 😉 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2019 4:49 am
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Cool you've find... and cool you like the new version 🤗 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2019 9:35 am

To participate, please connect first!