Community Support

Slightly off topic - looking for a solution that will text or email an alert when weather meets critieria  

RSS
silver_2000
(@silver_2000)
Eminent Member

I use and love the plugin.  Amazing work. 
I know that the plugin does real-time weather and not forecasts but Id love to be able to text or email when the weather forecast predicts weather in certain ranges

Specifically, if the temp is above 60 and the wind speed is below 15 and it's not raining Id like to be able to send a text or email alert.

The weather station and plugin is used for an RC Airplane flying club and we would love to be able to let member sign up for an alert that for example tomorrow it will be good flying weather ...

I know its a stretch but there are a lot of smart people here who might be able to point me in the right direction

THanks in advance

Posted : 11/03/2020 6:05 pm
Chris
(@zerog981)
Reputable Member 🇩🇪🇦🇹🇨🇭Editor

Hello @silver_2000,

alerting users via Weather Station is already planned (sorry, the post is in french), but since Pierre is a very busy man with limited free time, I assume we'll have to wait a little longer until this feature finally makes it into Weather Station. In the meantime you have to build something on your own, I'm afraid. However, if you provide me with some more information about your infrastructure (weather station, capabilities of your hosting provider etc.) I may be able to help you. I already developped something similar for people that require exact weather information (water supply monitoring, road service in winter etc.). This is a bit more complicated, but it shouldn't be too hard to send an email via PHP in WordPress 😉

Chris

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Chris

I like the cold weather. It means you get work done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2020 9:03 am
silver_2000
(@silver_2000)
Eminent Member

Thanks for heads-up

Davis weather station is capturing wind and temp and some other readings.  The WordPress site is on my Linux cpanel server so there should be no host issues.

You can see the site here

114thrc.org

Or station is visible in windfinder and the paid app has some alerts but wind finder is built for people that want more wind,not less so the alerts haven't really worked for us ...

I would love to be able to look 24-36 hours out and if the wind gusts are predicted to be lower than 15 mph between sunrise and sunset and temps above 60 send an email or text to alert our members that it's good flying weather ...

Does that help ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2020 11:36 am
Chris
(@zerog981)
Reputable Member 🇩🇪🇦🇹🇨🇭Editor

Ok, what service/program/device are you using to transfer your weather data to your website (and specifically to Weather Station)? WeatherLink, Meteobridge etc.? Sorry, I'm not familiar with windfinder...

So, if I understand you correctly, you don't want to look at historic data, but rather into the future? In this case you need some forecast provider that allows for API usage of his data (for instance Open Weather Map, but I don't want to promote any service) or you could calculate your own forecast, but that's definitely off topic 😉

Chris

I like the cold weather. It means you get work done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 10:16 am

To participate, please connect first!