Community Support

[This post is marked as unsolved] Shortening Measurements  

RSS
AlanYoungblood
(@alanyoungblood)
Eminent Member

Hi Pierre,

I see others are have the same problems fitting Measurement names in labels and titles - "Accumulated Rainfall for the last hour", etc.  I saw one response where this was going to be customization avaialable in v. 3.5. I'm running the latest version but can't see where to change this. 

The site is http://blazetheweatherhorse.com

Thanks for your help

Posted : 06/01/2019 6:29 am
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hi Alan!

You're right, but the behavior of the WordPress translation scheme made me push the release of this feature to version 4.x...

I'm sorry.

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 9:42 pm
AlanYoungblood
(@alanyoungblood)
Eminent Member

Is there some way to change it in the code for a temporary fix?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 9:51 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Yes, you can hack the get_measurement_type method in the ../live-weather-station/includes/traits/DataTypeDescription.php file. But it's a tricky business...

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 9:57 pm
AlanYoungblood
(@alanyoungblood)
Eminent Member

I always hack stuff on a copy. lol

Would the change be wiped out every time you upgrade the plug in?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 10:01 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Yes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 10:03 pm
AlanYoungblood
(@alanyoungblood)
Eminent Member

That's what I was afraid of. I'll just wait until you get a chance to work on it 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 10:49 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

If this is so important to you, I can try to put it in version 3.8... But this will require to bypass some behaviors of the WordPress translation system, and I'm not sure if it's "safely" workable. Let me 7-8 days to see how (and if) I can do it with the current translation system...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2019 10:54 pm
AlanYoungblood
(@alanyoungblood)
Eminent Member

Thank you Pierre, I spend some time exploring the options for identifying Low and high temperatures of the day and the best I can come up with is what you see now at http://blazetheweatherhorse.com . I think people, when they see what the values are, will understand which is the high and low temp for the day. I don't think it's worth completely tearing up your whole development schedule for a couple of labels. I'll just change it when you get to it. 

This post was modified 10 months ago by AlanYoungblood
ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 2:50 am
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello!

It will be in version 3.8  😊 

Thanks for the suggestion...

PS: post moved from "general question" to "ideas & suggestions".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2019 9:15 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello Alan.

I'm working on this feature right now. Could you tell me in which control or chart you want to see this ?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 2:52 pm
AlanYoungblood
(@alanyoungblood)
Eminent Member

Thank you Pierre. Yes, total rain for the day, high temperature, rain rate, etc. Anything too long to fit in under the value. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 4:53 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Thank for your answer.

I understand which sort of labels (I've made a quick search on labels lengths. But in which controls ? Could you give me example?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 4:56 pm
AlanYoungblood
(@alanyoungblood)
Eminent Member

I've been using the clean gauge controls on blazetheweatherhorse.com. Haven't used any of the other ones. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 5:03 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

OK. I understand better, thanks 😉

If you use (when generating shortcodes) the "short measurement type", it's not sufficient (that's an assumption I make). Could you give me use-cases where it doesn't fit? It's important to me to really understand what you want (and how you will use it).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 5:07 pm

Working

To participate, please connect first!