Luftdaten Air quality sensors

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)
Topic starter

Hey Pierre,

Maybe you know Luftdaten.info already, but if not...

Luftdaten is an originally German citizen science project. Most sensors are in Germany and Netherlands, but also England and France. Sensors are located all around the world. From my point of view this is a really successful project! People can build a very cheap sensor (25-30 euro) for measuring air quality PM 10 and PM 2,5. The data is freely accessible via JSON file. Check the FAQ in german : https://luftdaten.info/faq/  or in French:  Luftdaten FAQ - FR. FAQ not available in EN... ????

I built a sensor and it is active. It would be nice to add a map with this data, and possibly add the individual sensor as a station, so you can make a air quality graph, or display the measurements as textual graph. Also check out their map. Beautifully done with the hexagons-map! The attached picture shows the map, with the details of my station ???? 

Links: https://luftdaten.info

This topic was modified 5 years ago by Gerhard Witteveen

Posted : 11/05/2019 4:46 pm
CKMartens reacted
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Noble Member

Hello Gerhard!

Yes, I know Luftdaten. A very cool citizen initiative. I plan to build my own this summer if I have time 😉

I want to integrate their data in Weather Station for months now (as station, and as map) but for now, they don't really have API. You must read the full json file and parse result to find your station. For now this is working as there's not so much stations. But what will happen if/when they have thousands of stations?

So, it's a really good suggestion, but I will have to find a "data solution" for this problem before implementing it...

Ps: yes, their map is really cool. I don't know how they do it, but it's really amazing ???? 

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

Posted : 12/05/2019 8:24 am
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)
Topic starter

Posted by: Pierre Lannoy

Hello Gerhard!

Yes, I know Luftdaten. A very cool citizen initiative. I plan to build my own this summer if I have time 😉

I want to integrate their data in Weather Station for months now (as station, and as map) but for now, they don't really have API. You must read the full json file and parse result to find your station. For now this is working as there's not so much stations. But what will happen if/when they have thousands of stations?

So, it's a really good suggestion, but I will have to find a "data solution" for this problem before implementing it...

Ps: yes, their map is really cool. I don't know how they do it, but it's really amazing ???? 

Hi Pierre,

Maybe there is something new about the API's here: https://github.com/opendata-stuttgart/meta/wiki/APIs

Building a sensor is quite a pleasant job! The worst is waiting for the parts to be shipped from China... But building it should not be that time-consuming.  For me the biggest problems where in loading the firmware on the MCU-unit. But I have a hunch this is a piece of cake for you! 

Posted : 12/05/2019 10:53 am