Community Support

Extended webcam support  

RSS
Chris
(@zerog981)
Eminent Member 🇩🇪 Editor

Hi Pierre 🙂 

I really like the image viewer and timelapse generator (btw the handbook shows "No timelapse for this date." when following the "See in action" button...might be an issue) but since I do not own a Bloomsky station I was wondering if it is feasable to add the live snapshots of any webcam. For instance if I provide the path to a self refreshing image or whatever kind of source Weather Station requires.

Will this be difficult to implement?

Thanks!

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 1:34 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hi Chris!

Thanks for the hint (regarding the "No timelapse for this date."), I had it fixed on a particular date that I found the timelapse really beautiful. And it was a date older (today) than what the timelapse retention time allows  🤣
It's fixed, I set "yesterday" as date...

Regarding you question, first know that the timelapse is an integrated feature offered by the Bloomsky station itself: it is not Weather Station that builds these timelapses. But this is not really difficult to do and if it was possible to collect regular "live" snapshots, it would be quite feasible.
What is more of a problem is the lack of access "standards" for webcams. As a result, this would require to develop one connector per camera brand or model  😱 

This could be possible if I "discover" a standard. I will look at this after the 3.7 release. 

Do you personally already use this type of camera?

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 4:41 pm
Chris
(@zerog981)
Eminent Member 🇩🇪 Editor

Ahhh I see, that's why the BloomSky watermark is there.

I'm currently testing the Hikvision 2CD2385FWD-I and if everything goes according to plan I will buy some more of these. It allows me to both stream the live image over HTTP(S), Multicast and other protocols and to upload images periodically via FTP or SMB. Due to restricted bandwidth I'm currently planning to work with the FTP approach. The camera will upload an image every minute to an FTP server overwriting the previous one.

While being not the most elegant way I think using FTP is kind of a "standard" almost every webcam is capable of. The idea is to let the webcam upload the image to the FTP server and let Weather Station fetch it from there.

Maybe that's something simple to start with and I'm happy to help you with testing 😉 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Chris
ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 7:53 pm Pierre Lannoy liked
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

I moved this post in "idea and suggestions" and... yes, I accept your proposal for tests  😋 

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 7:57 pm Chris liked

Working

To participate, please connect first!