Community Support

[This post is marked as unsolved] Add support for WeatherLink 2.0 API (Davis Instruments) and more API keys!  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
daguilera
(@daguilera)
Eminent Member

Hello everyone and Pierre,

I would like to use the Davis Instruments WeatherLink network in the weather station software. Now I wrote a simple shell script (Linux) to retrieve the observations of the new WeatherLink API (you need API Token, the Device ID and the password) and convert them to the Sticker tag format, to be read with the Weather Station software. We mounted a national-wide hobbyist weather network using your plugin and supporting several stations from different vendors. (redmeteo.cl).
Another thing I'd like to is to use more than one API key to read stations (like Ambient Weather Network) to natively retrieve more stations and data from our network partners.

Best regards from Chile.
David.

This topic was modified 3 years ago by daguilera

David Aguilera-Riquelme (@davidagriq).
https://redmeteo.cl - an Open Chilean hobbyist weather network

Posted : 17/01/2019 8:04 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello David!

Regarding WeatherLink API, if it's not done yet in Weather Station it's because I have no access to it (and they don't offer sandboxes for developpers). If you can share with me your credentials - if you trust me to not erase your stations 😉  - it can be in the 3.8 version of Weather Station (the next major update, in spring 2019). If it's ok for you then, let's do it by mail (weather@station.software).

Regarding the multiple API Keys, I don't know it's really feasible. Let me some time to investigate it...

PS: thanks again for your review.

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/01/2019 8:54 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello David!

I have 2 news for you. A good one... and a bad one.

Let's start with the bad one: it will not be possible to have multiple Ambient accounts. It's due to the way they identify stations and generate metadata. I'm sorry for that. As soon as they let this possibility (with an extended API), it will be possible, and I will make the change.

The good one: thanks to your help (and the info you gave me) Weather Station 3.8 will support WeatherLink stations, and multiple accounts for WeatherLink...

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/01/2019 11:50 am
daguilera
(@daguilera)
Eminent Member

Hi Pierre,

I'm glad to hear good news. I still run my script to retrieve Ambient Weather stations using different API keys, but WeatherLink is an awesome feature that many people requested for.

Thank you very much for your help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2019 3:12 am
jukkapartanenmonenafi
(@jukkapartanenmonenafi)
Eminent Member

Pierre,

This is GOOD news, I really want to get rid of WD... 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2019 7:35 pm
wkberg43
(@wkberg43)
Eminent Member

We have a Davis Advantage Pro 2 station and are trying to get the data sent to a WordPress website using the weather station plugin.  We're new at this but from what I've read it sounds like there are some issues getting data from the WeatherLink site to the plugin.  When we've looked at the Weather Station manual about adding a station what we see is only about Netamo stations, which I take it our Davis is not nor is the WeatherLink.  Any advise for newbees on how to get the info?  David, does your software manage this?  Will this be easier with the new update of Weather Station?  Thanks for any help!

Keith

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 2:01 am
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello Keith.

First of all, I confirm WeatherLink direct access will be available in version 3.8. So, before this release, you must use a software (like weather link for windows, weewx, etc. to generate a file. If you don't use a software like that, you will have to wait for 3.8...

Regarding the documentation I'm surprised, because the page of the handbook which speaks about adding a station covers all types of station. Maybe have you accessed an old page which needs to be updated? Could you give me the url of the page you read so I can fix it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 11:25 am
wkberg43
(@wkberg43)
Eminent Member

Hi Pierre,

Thanks so much for your quick response!  The url we were looking at was https://weather.station.software/handbook/stations-management/adding-a-station/

We did see there information on a "File Based Station" the mentions the WeatherLink software, and there is mentions we should "ask this software to export its data via a realtime.txt, clientraw.txt or stickertags file."  And that's where we are lost since it's not clear how we ask software something.  Or should we be calling Davis tech folks to get such a file?  This is where we get lost. 

Under the File based Station section are subsections on Local File, Web Server, and File server where there are several more specific suggestions on the text needed.  Part of our problem is we don't have direct access to nor experience with Word Press websites, but are working with the administrator of such a website.  We're trying to help him on what he needs to get our basic current weather info up on the community website.

Thanks again for any input you can give us newbies! 

Keith

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 6:00 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello!

Files are for when you have installed a software on your Mac or PC. If you only use WeatherLink.com network, there's no way to ask Weather Station to collect you data. Sorry. You will have to wait version 3.8 (less than 3 months, actually).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 6:28 pm
wkberg43
(@wkberg43)
Eminent Member

Thanks again Pierre.  We were not aware we could even get and install WeatherLink software on our own computers.  It was never mentioned in the Vantage Pro 2 installation and setup manual that I remember - only the WeatherLink.com network setup.  We look forward to 3.8.  Anyway to let us know when it's released, or should we just keep checking the Weather Station website?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 6:48 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Yes, Davis try to "discourage" to install other things than their WeatherLink network 😉

To be informed, just subscribe to the Weather Station newsletter. You can find a form to subscribe at the bottom of the homepage, in blog posts or in the right column of the handbook.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2019 7:29 pm
daguilera
(@daguilera)
Eminent Member

Davis WeatherLink network data retrieval working smoothly on Weather Station v3.8 (released today).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2019 4:51 am
bencecioni
(@bencecioni)

Hello,

sorry for the question, but I'm having issues adding a Davis station: I have all the necessary data: the DID from the WheatherLinkIP, API token generated from my account settings page, and of course, my account password. Those are the required fields of the plugin.

It does not work, and it seems that I can't even make the API key fit. My API key is 32 char long, but it appears that the plugin API field allows only 20 chat as a Key.

I believe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't really figure this out.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

Ben

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/12/2019 11:59 pm
daguilera
(@daguilera)
Eminent Member

Hi Ben, 

You can use your first 20 characters from the 32-character API key, and it's fine, the plugin should read your weather station data. Try it!

Best regards from Chile. 

David 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2019 1:39 am
bencecioni
(@bencecioni)

Hello,

thanks so much for the quick reply.
I tried with only the first 20 char of my API key, but I got this message:

"Unable to access this station: no station with this credentials."

I'm using:
-the DID found of the WeatherLink IP (it's a data logger that sends the data directly online);
-the first 20 char of my API key;
-my www.weatherlink.com password (it's a secure password, with symbols and weird characters... maybe this is an issue?)
-my country code.

Those are the four things I'm using. Am I doing something wrong?

I read the documentation on the WeatherLink API PDF, and it seems I'm using the correct data, but probably I misunderstood something.

Thanks for the support!
Ben

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/12/2019 3:20 pm
Page 1 / 2

To participate, please connect first!