[This post is marked as unsolved] Widget and WP-Rocket
I tried to find the answer in the forum but couldn't find it, sorry for maybe asking stupid questions:
It's the first time I hear there's a refresh issue with WP-Rocket, but that's not totally a surprise regarding how these cache plugins have aggressive caching mechanisms.
But, before I blame WP-Rocket, let's first see if everything is working properly on Weather Station:
- Is your WP cron operational? At which frequency?
- What type of station are you collecting?
Good to see you're so fast in response, really great!
1. We have an external WP-CRON every minute, it's working great as other plugins also need it.
2. Very simple (yet) only OpenWeatherMap in 1 station.
Here some settings of WP-Rocket:
- cache tab: Mobile cache: both options on. User cache: off. Cache lifespan: reduced today to 3 hours (was 10).
- media tab: all on except 'disable Wordpress embeds'
- preloading tab: only preloading on (not the sitemap)
- advanced tab: nothing special or relevant
- CDN tab: nothing
So I assume from your answer that also with WP Rocket a widget should always load "realtime" data?
Thanks for this detailed report. It seems all is rightly done from your side. So, maybe it is a new way for WP-Rocket to do things, because I have started to have, for the last few weeks only, a convergence of problems regarding non-refresh due to the cache. And because I take it as a serious alert, here is what I will do:
- Trying to reproduce (thanks for your detailed report 😉 ) the issue on my test servers.
- If it's reproducible, I will try to find the cause and a workaround.
- If steps 1 and 2 are ok, I will publish a fix in version 3.8 (this spring if all go well).
I'll let you know as soon as I have news on this.
PS: just out of curiosity, are you using a cache because your site has a a lot of traffic, or to compensate an undersized server?
Good morning Pierre,
Our website ( https://tvvalkenburg.tv , we're a small local public TV station with only volunteers) is huge (15K+ posts) and gets many visitors (2-5K p day) and because of SEO it's good to have it fast (GTMetrix from Londen is now 2.1sec). The server is a VPS (2GB/2core/SSD) hosted at DigitalOcean (AMS), with Apache and NGINX.
Besides WP-Rocket we use REDIS, perhaps that's the victim?
In our (iOS and Android) apps I also have 1 web view to a (hidden) page with more detailed 'clean gauges', this page is explicitly not cached and works as expected.
I confirm I found a bug in the way Weather Station generates widgets when WP-Rocket is activated (and maybe some other cache managers). I've found a workaround (making the widget self-loaded via Ajax). The fix will be included in version 3.8.
Thanks for the report.
PS: I moved this post from "General Questions" to "Bug & Issues".
Version 3.8.0 is released and it should fix your issue... Could you confirm it, after activating the right option in settings / system?
The first time you use it, you must purge all your cache... Have you tried it?
Thanks for your help!
OK. So now, I found it's not a bug related to WP Rocket cache. Try this uncached url :