Community Support

[This post is marked as unsolved] Spiking in wind direction chart  

RSS
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)
Reputable Member 🇳🇱 🇧🇪 Editor

Hey Pierre,

Since a couple of weeks (since 3.7?) my wind dir charts look spikey. With a more or les regular interval the wind direction (from) spikes to North, 0°, then immediately back to the correct wind direction. 

First i suspected it was the Davis hardware. The anemometer kit was even replaced under warranty... But that was not the solution.

Toninght I checked the shortcode, and found something strange; When i choose "Direction (From)" the spikes are visible, but when i choose "Direction (To)" they magically disappear... See the 2 attached screenshots.

Gerhard

This topic was modified 5 months ago 2 times by Gerhard Witteveen
Posted : 08/01/2019 9:57 pm
Chris
(@zerog981)
Reputable Member 🇩🇪🇨🇭Editor

Hi Gerhard!

Just in case it helps resolving the issue I cannot confirm this also using davis hardware (Windrichtung means "Direction (From)" and Windzielrichtung means "Direction (To)").

Chris

This post was modified 5 months ago by Chris

I like the cold weather. It means you get work done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 10:16 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello Gerhard!

It's absolutely normal. And I know it looks ugly but the values are good. It's because direction is source +/- 180° (that's the opposite angle), and when you show circular values (like angles) in a linear representation you obtain that if you have values which are near 0, 180 and 360° (it's like quick oscillations).
To confirm your values are correct, just generate a windrose with source and another with direction you will see it's the same windrose "mirrored", it's because, this time, the representation is circular...

In fact, lines and multilines are not help to visualize circular data 😉

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 10:24 pm
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)

Hey Pierre, 

Thanks for your quick response! 

But somehow these spikes where not present before. Those  datapoints are always exactly 0°. So it is not the wind vane passing north. The North datapoints are not measured datapoints. I'll somehow have to check if Meteobridge reports that data. 🤔 

This graph is very useful for displaying change in wind direction during the day.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 10:35 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Yes, it's because some stations are measuring direction, other are measuring source. Just make the test: forget lines and display only dots, you will see what I'm speaking of...

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 10:46 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Look, I've made a video to show you : 

wind angles from Pierre Lannoy on Vimeo.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Pierre Lannoy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 11:00 pm
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)

Hey Pierre,

Yes, that helps! Sorry!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 11:02 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Don't be sorry, that's the most painful thing in data visualization (and the most difficult thing to "read"): circular values in a linear visualization... 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 11:05 pm
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)

Well, it turns out the anemometer kit was indeed defective last week, and did need replacement for losing contact. And losing contact means it reports 0°. Last's behaviour looked the same, even with wind from the south. That caused spiking, caused by the defective anemometer. I checked the Meteobridge files and now i see the difference. 2 different things causing a similar effect😳

This time spiking is "the real thing" and no error. Followed your advice, and changed the line into dots👍

Thanks!

Gerhard

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 11:18 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

🤣

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2019 11:26 pm

Working

To participate, please connect first!