Community Support

Font does not show special characters  

RSS
dl8aap
(@dl8aap)

Hi there,

I am really new to the Weather Station and couldn't find any answers concerning bad font issues.

So in the line chart the degree character is shown as °C and the big dot as &#9679.

In the gauge chart the degree char is correct as °C

I've added a screenshot from my website.

These are the version information of the system:

• WordPress 5.3.2 (PHP 7.3.15 / MySQL 5.5.60).
  • Weather Station 3.8.9 "Danakil"

I also added Awesome Font plugin and tried to check the correct behaviour of the font with different setting. But that didn't help.

Is there something I missed and how can I get proper characters to show?

Thanks @all

Carsten

This topic was modified 1 month ago by dl8aap
Posted : 09/03/2020 1:42 pm
Topic Tags
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)
Reputable Member 🇳🇱 🇧🇪 Editor

Hey Carsten,

I do think it has to do with the Font Awesome-settings. But to see the change, you need to invalidate the cache (in maintenance-menu) to see the change, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps!

Gerhard

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/03/2020 8:53 pm
dl8aap
(@dl8aap)

Hi Gerhard,

thanks for your help. I deactivated all cache functions in the maintenace menu and played around with the font settings. But sadly it didn't work.

I also took care of the cache options in Wordpress itself, since I have some images from external sources which are changing dynamically. Even deleting the browser's cache did not help.

Maybe someone has another idea?

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by dl8aap
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2020 11:43 am
dl8aap
(@dl8aap)

Dear all,

Maybe I can give an additional information. Only on the published page the characters (degree and big dot) are not translated. They are completely translated on the dashboard and also on the published page in the interactive information box.  See screenshot. So I am wondering how the font set is working in the background.

Anyone who can help?

I'd appreciate it much

Carsten

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 10:13 am
Gerhard Witteveen
(@gerhard)
Reputable Member 🇳🇱 🇧🇪 Editor

Hey Carsten,

Sorry, I don't have any ideas left. Hope the developer, @pierre-lannoy can help!

Gerhard

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 11:02 am
Chris
(@zerog981)
Reputable Member 🇩🇪🇦🇹🇨🇭Editor

Hello Carsten,

I just saw you're using the German version. Could you please try switching your WordPress installation to English and confirm that the issue still persists?

Chris

I like the cold weather. It means you get work done.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 4:11 pm
dl8aap
(@dl8aap)

Chris,

thanks for the hint. But sadly it shows still the html code instead of the characters. See image please

Carsten

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 6:46 pm
dl8aap
(@dl8aap)

just an idea... is it an issue of the database perhaps?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2020 6:47 pm
Chris
(@zerog981)

Ok, so it has got nothing to do with the translation...

Posted by: @dl8aap

just an idea... is it an issue of the database perhaps?

I guess (!) not, but I have no insight in the database architecture of Weather Station, so that's again a question only Pierre can answer.

Another perhaps silly question from my side, did you try using different browsers? Can you provide an URL to your page?

Chris

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 3 times by Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 9:57 am
dl8aap
(@dl8aap)

Chris

that's definately not a silly question. I use Chrome, IE11, Firefox also for testing different solutions on other projects. But all of them show the same behaviour. The diagrams don't let me mark any text. Means copy & paste is not possible. So I think the "birth" of such a diagram is way before it is shown on the page as -let me say- a picture (?).

Anyway the URL is this:  https://www.db0rvb.de/das-wetter-auf-dem-ravensberg-2/

It looks horrible right now, since I am working on it and messing around with different diagrams and charts there and how it looks and how it can be used.

Thanks for your ideas.

Carsten

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 10:17 am
Chris
(@zerog981)

Thank you, you're right, I wasn't aware that the axis texts are rendered beforehand...

Hmmm, so I can only give you some more general things to try. You said you took care of the WordPress cache, did you also try purging the Weather Station cache (Weather Station -> Settings -> Maintainance -> Reset Cache I think, in German it should be "Cache zurücksetzen")?

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 10:53 am
dl8aap
(@dl8aap)

Ooops you're right! I didn't see that in the maintenance menu. So I checked that out but it doesn't solve the problem

I am full of hope that @pierre-lannoy can take a look in the bits and bytes. But I'm not in hurry. Maybe one day....

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by dl8aap
ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2020 6:35 pm
Chris
(@zerog981)

Hmmm, then I'm running out of ideas, apart from reinstalling Weather Station, deactivating plugins and changing themes (things I'm sure you already tried)...looks like it has got something to do with your server...

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2020 4:47 pm

To participate, please connect first!