Community Support

[This post is marked as unsolved] Data still not refreshing after plugin reinstall, cron-job fix and various times re-adding of the station/service  

RSS
Pieter Van T Hof
(@pieter)

Hello all,

I'm experiencing continuous problems having fresh data for my netatmo weather-station page. Currently located at https://www.reddingsbrigaderockanje.nl/weer-en-getij/  , you can see that it does not update automatically (see for last update the text "Laatste Update:" under the temperature)

I tried the following things:

• Removed/added station
  • Removed/added netatmo connection
  • Removed/added the plugin
  • Fixed the wp-cron.php issue by setting a cron job

All to no avail.

There are a few smoking guns in my opinion:

1. According to the event log, the watchdog get restarted every cron hit (see first screenshot)
  2. When adding the stations, I get 2 netatmo entries (see second screenshot)

I'm currently out of options with trying. My gut feeling says that the plugin isn't functioning completely correct, maybe due to some historical update? We use it for quite a few years now, always to our full satisfaction, until recently (I'm not sure since when. I only recently added the last refresh text)

Kind regards,

Pieter

Posted : 27/02/2018 10:15 am
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello Pieter.

Sorry to hear you have this issue. I think I know where it come from but I need you do just one thing to confirm it: could you please take a screenshot of the scheduled tasks tab (in settings)? Thanks.

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2018 11:34 am
Pieter Van T Hof
(@pieter)

I think you're onto something...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2018 2:27 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

OK, thanks. The good news is: I know what is the problem, and it's not related to Weather Station. The bad news (because you're not the first one to have this sort of issue) is: it is very difficult to "isolate" it...

The problem comes from a plugin or a theme (or a specific widget or module of the theme) which "trash" the tasks list of WordPress. I don't know why some have this effect (generally it's poorly developed and/or poorly tested plugins or themes). The effect is on the full WordPress task list, so it doesn't affect only Weather Station, it affects all features using this list (in WordPress core, some features use it: fully automated updates, scheduled publishing of pages or posts, etc. And many plugins uses too)...

So to find which fis the culprit, we will try to restrict search perimeter:

- Since when does this happen?

- In the hours (days) before that, did you install new plugins?

- In the hours (days) before that, did you updated plugins?

- In the hours (days) before that, did you switched to a another themes?

- In the hours (days) before that, did you updated your current theme?

If you like Weather Station, please consider to make a review to help make it known. That would be the best way to thank me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2018 3:20 pm
Pieter Van T Hof
(@pieter)

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your input! I don't know the answer to your questions, since I'm not the only one administrating the site. I do know that we have quite an impressive number of plugins running.

I will start playing around bij disabling those one by one to find the culprit. I will also update al themes. Thank you for your time and I will report back if I find the culprit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2018 3:23 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Yes, tell me when you have found. I think I will make a list of "bad" plugins and themes 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2018 3:40 pm
Pieter Van T Hof
(@pieter)

Got it!

The plugin responsible was  https://wordpress.org/plugins/flow-flow-social-streams/ . After deactivating this plugin all tasks were scheduled again normally. 

I created a ticket on their support system for addressing this issue.

Pierre, merci bien for the quick, professional and elaborate support!

Regards,

Pieter

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2018 3:57 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Ah cool you find it. Don't hesitate to keep me informed of their fix... And if you're happy with Weather Station, don't hesitate to make a review. It was my pleasure to help you  😊 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2018 4:07 pm
Jochen Hofenstock
(@jochen)

Hi Guys,

here I am again with this topic. I can also not use the scheduler. I made a complete new fresh wordpress installation and installed only the Weather Station Plugin. I do not have any other plugin also installed.

I miss the Task Scheduler tab within Weather Station Settings. But I do have the Scheduler Settings and when I switch to it, it says all tasks are diabled.

Anyone can deal with that? :-/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2019 6:11 pm
Jochen Hofenstock
(@jochen)
Posted by: Jochen Hofenstock

Hi Guys,

here I am again with this topic. I can also not use the scheduler. I made a complete new fresh wordpress installation and installed only the Weather Station Plugin. I do not have any other plugin also installed.

I miss the Task Scheduler tab within Weather Station Settings. But I do have the Scheduler Settings and when I switch to it, it says all tasks are diabled.

Anyone can deal with that? :-/

Regards, Jochen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2019 6:12 pm
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello @jochen!

Sorry to hear that. If you have a list of disabled tasks, as explain above, it may come from :

• a bad plugin
  • a bad theme
  • a modification to WordPress files you've done yourself

If you have no plugin, a standard WP theme and haven't done any modification by yourself, it should work (assuming you've a correctly set cron scheduler).

Could you give me the url of your site, I will see if there's something obvious I can see...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2019 6:42 pm
Jochen Hofenstock
(@jochen)

Hi Perre

the domain is: wetter-weinviertel.at. I can offer you an admin account if you are interessted in troubleshooting 🙂 Therefore I ask you to register with your name. When I see it, i delegate you admin-rights

http://www.wetter-weinviertel.at/wp-login.php?action=register

I got it already working but unfortunately not with the WP-Cron solution. I made it with that solution https://weather.station.software/blog/how-to-get-up-to-date-weather-data/

I did deactivate the WP Cron job and use now a free one from cron-job.org. I hope that service will be for free forever and it will be produced forever :-/

If you are interessted in trouble shooting you have to build back the workaround

Regards, Jochen

Regards, Jochen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2019 11:59 am
Pierre Lannoy
(@pierre-lannoy)
Member Admin

Hello Jochen!

Thanks for the access 😉

I see all is perfectly working. That's great!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/10/2019 2:13 pm

Working

To participate, please connect first!